Who invented the triple?

This summer I was reading the book "Semantics" by Geoffrey Leech, which was written in 1974. I found it quite remarkable this his model of semantics in language was subject-predicate-object triples. I also found a 1968 paper by Ross Quinlan titled "Semantic memory" in which he was creating sets of triples that define relationships between a small number of words and doing an analysis of the graph. The biggest difference with what I'm doing today is that he had a thousand triples and I have a billion.

It's clear to me that the triple has a history before RDF. My question is, how far back does that history go?

It's clear to me that the triple has a history before RDF. My question is, how far back does that history go?

Reminds me of a favourite quote of mine:

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." – Carl Sagan

...so there's an argument to be made that the answer is 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years.

A little bit more recently: Entity–Attribute–Value (EAV) models are around since at least the seventies

(...here, E ↔ S. A ↔ P. V ↔ O).

Wikipedia gives a reference for an EAV based system from '72:

Warner, H. R.; Olmsted, C. M.; Rutherford, B. D. (1972), "HELP—a program for medical decision-making", Comput Biomed Res 5

...but I think they might go back further to the origins of LISP ('58).

...but again, I think you'll probably find something similar before that... like directed labelled graphs, and so forth.

It's giants standing on shoulders all the way down.

A triple, that's stating that two things being related... would probably make a good patent. ;-)

SCNR